Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My blood or body feels like it burning..and i vomit a of

Customer Question
times last night and once...
My blood or body feels like it burning..and i vomit a of times last night and once this morning
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: It started last night and no other discomfort
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I ate some jerk chicken i normally dont..
I also have sickle cell
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/12/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask have you checked yourself for a fever? Any diarrhea? Any other symptoms?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later.

Now the burning sensation is likely to be due to a fever which you might have right now, this along with the vomiting can be an indication of an infection of the gastrointestinal tract. this could be a viral or a bacterial infection, depending upon the presence or absence of diarrhea / abdominal pain. It is possible that you acquired the infection after eating the chicken, which could have been a carrier of the microorganisms. In case this is a viral infection then you just need to keep rehydrating yourself with as much water as you can alongwith electrolyte rich fluid like gatorade. In addition you can use OTC tylenol for the fever as well as use OTC dramamine for the vomiting. However if the vomiting is persistent and you are getting dehydrated then in the presence of sickle cell disease that can be dangerous as it can push you into a sickle cell crisis which is marked by chest pain, bony pains, high grade fever.

In case of a bacterial infection, you would need antibiotics to counter the infection. Now one last thing which i should mention is that ANY infection, viral or bacterial, can cause a sickle cell crisis and an infection with dehydration increases the risk of this happening. Now i would STRONGLY recommend considering the symptoms that you have that you visit an urgent care center especially if you cant take anything orally. The only reason im mentioning this is that you have sickle cell disease, if you didnt have the disease then you could afford to watch and wait but in presence of this problem you should have this evaluated ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist