How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMd Your Own Question
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 65050
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
DrRussMd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am suffering from lower back pain (but only when I use my

Customer Question

I am suffering from lower back pain (but only when I use my back for simple garden tasks, showering or any tasks lasting 5 mn. or so.). In addition the sensation of very very heaviness in both legs. I have tried iron and other vitamins. Are they related? Can I treat any of these problems? The back pain is not in my spine but in the muscles at the top of my muscles. I am retired and 64 years old.
Thank you,
Dennis Courtney
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

most likely taking iron and vitamins will not cause lower back pain

more likely due to muscle strain in your lower back

you may need to wear a back brace

you could use some ice or heating pads to help your back muscles.

you may need prescription anti-inflammatories or muscle relaxers to help your pain.

do you have a primary care doctor you can see?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer.

I am a double board certified clinical doctor and I have handled this problem hand on for more than 20 years.

You can not effectively treat these problems on your own.

In fact, there is likely lower spine involvement with the heaviness in the legs, and this can be serious.

You must see a doctor.

It is likely you need an MRI of the lower spine.

The mainstay of treatment will be the correct physical therapy.

And other manual therapies.

At your age, with this problem, the structural problems must be corrected. If medications are the only think used, then it is likely the problem will progress.

That is no good.

Best doctor to see: physical medicine and rehabilitation. A type of MD.

Your doctor can refer you, but many of these doctors, being medically trained, do not require a referral.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent [5]—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here