How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 7105
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My back completely went out two days ago. I can't move

Customer Question

My back completely went out two days ago. I can't move without excuriating pain. I also have muscle spasms with leg pain
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.


Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now pain of this sort which radiates down into the leg indicates that you may have developed a disc prolapse. This could compress the nerve roots which originate from the spine and cause severe pain in the form of burning, stabbing or shooting sort of pain. It can also cause numbness or tingling in the legs. If this is the case then it would be wise to get a MRI of the spine done to rule out the problem. Secondly if you also have urinary or fecal incontinence or have difficulty in sensing pain or temperature in the area around your anus, that could indicate you have saddle anethesia. This is sign of cauda equina syndrome which requires IMMEDIATE intervention in the form of a MRI and surgery.

Now it is possible that you may have severe muscle spasms of the back but if you have any of the above symptoms i would STRONGLY recommend that you have your doctor examine you or better yet go to the urgent care center. Considering the severity of the pain i would strongly urge the ER visit. In the meantime start using OTC motrin or aleve for the pain and increase your intake of water as well as electrolyte rich fluids which can help in muscle spasms but i would strongly suggest the ER visit and a MRI of the back.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.