How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Chaithanya Your Own Question
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 798
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr Chaithanya is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had ulnar nerve surgery, radial nerve surgery and

Customer Question

I have had ulnar nerve surgery, radial nerve surgery and carpal tunnel surgery, i still have no feeling in my pinky and ring finger, those two fingers i can even keep straight without them curling in, my thumb kind of curls in and my writ aches if i keep up straight, feels fine when its bent down. Had all the test and everything shows fine. Dr was going to do tendon transfer surgery but said everything was to weak to do the surgery. Then why is that and why are rhe test coming back negative? What do i do to fix the claw like hand i have with my fingers and thumb and no feeling in the two fingers. I still get extreme pain in my elbow. What do I do and what are my options since my dr isnt convinced 100% to do the tendon surgery.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.


I'm Dr Chaithanya attending you now

Sorry for your condition

Can you send me the pic of hand if you can

But based on the explanation, I se it is claw hand that we get in ulnar nerve palsy

I still feel your ulnar nerve has not recovered enough and that is the reason why your little and ring fingers are not sensed properly

Did you try Physiotherapy?

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

A neurologist should be testing based on the nerve conduction tests and EMG to know how much is the recovery post surgery. Have he done that? Are you taking any medications for pain?

Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

Now, after surgery, there are chances that few patients can loose sensations and there is partial nerve loss that has happened in your case

The best possibilities in your case are,

1. Get Nerve conduction tests and EMG to know what is the extent of nerve loss you are having at present

2. Consult a different Neurosurgeon based on the test results

3. Try a good Physiotherapist who can decrease your pain by improving muscle strength, sometimes good results

4. Consult a pain specialist, go to a pain management clinic, they can help in reducing the pain by giving powerful medications with less side effects suitable for daily management of pain. Injections and nerve blocks can have good effect.

Hope this helps

Please leave a positive rating at the top right corner of the page, the only way we experts are compensated for answering you

Follow up questions can be asked even after the positive rating

You can get back to me any time here,

Any bonus is welcome and appreciated

Best Regards

Dr Chaithanya