Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My face (mainly cheek and lower jaw) has been feeling numb

Customer Question

Hello. My face (mainly cheek and lower jaw) has been feeling numb for the past month. Whenever I protrude my lower jaw or clench it, I notice twitching/shaking in my lower jaw, cheek (under my ear), and the back of my neck. What would you suspect be the cause of this?Please keep in mind I have recently done bloodwork that has appeared normal, an EMG/NCS on my arms and legs (normal too), and experience body wide twitching. If you have any questions for me, please let me know.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

I would advise that you see an ENT specialist for further evaluation.YOU might be experiencing some problem of swelling related to the carotid saliva gland ..

The facial nerve traverses through the carotid gland and that nerve controls muscle function of the face...

Sensation of the region described would be the mandivpbular branch of the Trigeminal nerve

I think careful exam by an ENT specialist is warranted from your history as next step

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply.What is the carotid saliva gland? Do you mean parotid? What would be some of the causes if this were swelling of the gland? In the past, my cheek (left side) has swollen due to excess coffee and probably dehydration.I noticed some twitching in my neck when I clench my lower jaw. Thus, I'm attaching a video - let me know what you think and if that's still related to what you had suggested above.One of my fears is that its ALS-related since my mother was recently diagnosed. I have body wide twitching but passed all my tests with my neurologists. My EMG/NCV of my limbs were clean too. As such, would that indicate that would be unlike here as well?

PAROTID SALIVA gland !! Sorry spellchecker is terrible to "fix" medical terms

The PAROTID SALIVA gland is situated anterior to the ear and a bit lower ... It is the gland that swells in a case of mumps ....

Causes of swelling of the PAROTID gland may include a blocked saliva gland such as with a stone or infection..other causes are possible ( such as autoimmune --- Sjogren's disease)

Muscle twitches seem to find people to be paranoid that the symptom is due to ALS but ALS is not a common ailment and your normal testing this far would seem to go against that diagnosis and you do not seem to describe weakness which is prominent in ALS....

I tried the link but my tablet says the format not supported ...