Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I'm having wrist pain that comes and goes. It's a sharp pain

Customer Question

I'm having wrist pain that comes and goes. It's a sharp pain from movement that radiates from my wrist toward my thumb and index finger. This is the 3rd occurrence in 3 months. No preceding injury.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: It usually lasts a few days. This is the 3rd day for this occurrence. Keeping my wrist stationary makes it better. Twisting or rolling motions make it worse.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was treated for Graves' disease with radioactive iodine 4 years ago. I recently had a replacement hormone dosage increase.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

• The most likely cause would be "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome of CTS", caused by pressures on the median nerve that runs in the middle of the wrist. Mostly observed in people who have work-related repetitive hand movement for long time.
  • It is also accompanied with numberless and tingling
  • Symptoms improve when the hand/wrist is rested, stationary.
  • Wearing wrist splint (OTC) at night helps improve symptoms.
  • Surgery, relatively minor, is very effective treatment
  • Other less likley reason is arthritis of the wrist

If this answers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes