Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I am 66 generally good health and exercising quite

Customer Question

I am 66 generally good health and exercising quite regularly. I have the dull painn under shoulder blade when stretching or rotating the right arm and often click in front or at the back of the shoulder felt as the ligamen catching with other as well as tingling in a shoulder with a bit numbness in my finger. That condition actually last for the long time but sometimes less disturbing or sometimes more. I noticed that while arm is under load ( lifting or mowing fast) pain is lesser, but when at rest while stretching is more painful.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and other medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

This appears a pinched spinal nerve in the C spine area (Cervical spine or spine in the neck area)

Even pinched spinal nerve in the upper thoracic spine too can cause these symptoms

Entrapment or irritation of nerves in the shoulder blade area, or brachial plexus area too can cause these symptoms

If an MRI of the C spine, T spine (Cervical & Thoracic spine), and shoulder blade area is not yet done then you need this to be done, the MRI should also focus on Brachial plexus structure too

This can show any possibility of disc problems, arthritis in the spine, or structural problems in the brachial plexus or shoulder area causing pinched nerve or injury/irritation to the nerve

A Nerve test called as an EMG/Nerve conduction test too can help in exploring the possibility of pinched spinal nerve

The treatment for pinched spinal nerve or nerve irritation in the brachial plexus is conservative/non-surgical initially which generally includes Physiotherapy, Pain meds including NSAIDs, Nerve-pain pills, Pain relieving skin patches, ESI (Epidural Steroid Injections), Prolotherapy or PRP injections, Diathermy, Ultrasound therapy, TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation), Interferential therapy etc. Not all these treatments are required, I am giving a list of various treatment options that can help with your condition.

If none of the conservative treatments help then certain surgical treatments too may be required, but most patients respond to the above mentioned conservative treatments so surgical remedies are not necessary.

If you have not yet seen a neurologist then you may please see one asap and please try to undergo a thorough neurological examination followed by above discussed investigations too (if not already done) and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

Hi Matt, if you have any further questions or if you need any additional clarifications please let me know. Best regards,Customer/p>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your diagnose, doctor. I would also like to know if there are some other reasons behind my shoulder "clicking" pain while moving or stretching it and my shoulder limited movement due to pain restrictions.
I feel the point under my shoulder blade which could be very painful when pressed directly over it with the finger. I experienced that while being treated on my shoulder by physiotherapist. I just wonder if that is inflamed soft tissue what may trigger the pinch nerve reaction or it is complete different issue not connected together to what you diagnosed.Thanks

You are very welcome! And thank you so much for all these additional information! I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Okay I am ready, I am posting my answer here;

It is possible there is some soft tissue irritation or inflammation in the shoulder area too. I was mainly focusing on neurological issues because it appeared to me that you had already seen an orthopedist and cleared by them of any bone or soft tissue injuries. If you are having severe local pain/tenderness and also clicking sound while moving shoulder then this is suspicious for some kind of soft tissue injury in and around shoulder area. This may be related to the irritation or inflammation of various ligaments, or tendons or bursa etc soft tissue structures located in the shoulder area. I am not sure whether you had an MRI of the shoulder or not, if not then you need one now. You may even consult another orthopedist too to get a second opinion. However please see that you also need to rule out the neurological issues I had discussed earlier, the pinched nerve possibilities which may be coming from the spine or which may be developing within the shoulder itself. It is possible some inflamed or irritated tendon (tendinitis) or some other soft tissue structure in the shoulder/shoulder blade area which is irritating a nerve which is causing the numbness and the tingling sensation. In my opinion you need another ortho opinion to rule out some primary shoulder issues, and you may also try to see a neurologist to explore the possibilities of nerve injuries which was discussed earlier.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Hi Matt, have you received my answer posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to access this site properly. Please take your time.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>