Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I am 15 and I injured my big toe 3 years ago while doing a

Customer Question

I am 15 and I injured my big toe 3 years ago while doing a handstand and landing on it hard. After that the pain came back every so often since I did dance. Then I joined cheer and every time I do a back handspring I land hard on my toes and the same pain always occurs. What is this and what should I do and who should I see? The pain is in the lower area between my big toe and the toe next to it.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Did you have an xray done at the time of the original injury?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not when the first injury from 3 years ago happened. I got one a few months ago though and they didn't see anything
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

I have a couple suggestions. One is to have an xray done of the foot while you are pressing down on the foot (i.e. a standing x-ray). This is a good way to rule out a hairline fracture of one of the foot bones that might not otherwise show up on a regular film. The other is to see a podiatrist (i.e. foot doctor) and have the foot examined carefully for a neuroma. This is a painful ball of disorganized nerve tissue that can form after injury. A neuroma can be very painful when pressed, and can be surgically removed if necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked up on it and if I have tried all the at home treatments for a neuroma and still have had the same pain, would I need surgery. The only relief I have gotten from this is wearing a medical boot, but I don't where it often because the doctor hasn't told me to wear it.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the only way to "cure" a neuroma is to excise it (cut it out). If done by an experienced podiatrist or orthopedic specialist, the result should be the complete resolution of pain.