DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

About a week ago I went to the chiropractor for the first

Customer Question

About a week ago I went to the chiropractor for the first time. I am 36 year old female. Following appointment severe burning/ hot feeling all over my body from mid thighs to the top of my head. Symptoms have progressed each day. Lying down causes cognitive impairment and tingling into my head. Numbness, tingling down arms and into face. Lots of symptoms- Breathing has felt like I can't breath unless I am in the exact right position. Eating sitting up creates cognitive impairment. Been to the ER 3 times (usually I never go to the dr). Big tests ct scan came out ok. Can't get into a neurologist for two weeks. Please, I just need to talk to a specialist! When I walk, sit, or stand too long- 3-10 minutes it makes my brain tingling and I am cognitively impaired.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I am not sure what your question is.

We do not replace your doctors visit. We answer questions.

A reaction to chiropractic can happen, and it can be generalized.

This usually wears off.

For one thing, if done too much, too fast, it can over stimulate the nervous system.

I have seen this happen many times.

Fortunately, the ER has not found anything objectively wrong with you, and I am sure they must have done an exam.

Regular medicine does not know how to deal with such reactions, but relaxation techniques and time useuallyu works.

Massage can help.

The chiropractor might have methods he uses in these cases: have you talked to him?

If you have spinal disc problems, these would best show up on MRI, of the spine.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi dr. Thomas!Thank you for your reply. MRI at the ER showed a c-5 slipped disc and possible tear. The cognitive impairment is what scares me the most. I guess my question is should we go back tithe ER again? Could there be some type of spinal cord damage? We did not do MRI on any lower back or spine. How long can it take for the nervous system to calm down from the visit? It's been about 11 days. We have been trying to get into a local neurologist clinic, but appointments are 2-3 weeks out. Thanks again-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and tried calling chiropractic office, but have been unable to get a hold of Doctor. You are the first neurologist we have talked to. Is the over stimulation potentially permanent?
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

It can take several weeks.

I suggest you see an MD specialist of physical medicine and rehabilitation.

If you can get in sooner than the neurologist. They are more knowledgeable in this situaiton.

I would have that doctor look at your MRI and decide.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! I have been laying down most of the time- like hours, all day. Should I try to get up and walk even with symptoms? That's not a bad idea about rehabilitation.
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

You should gently do your normal activities, but no overexite your nervous system.

Please click a positive rating. We are only paid per rating.