Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I bump my head against things a few times a week. It hurts a

Customer Question

Hi, I bump my head against things a few times a week. It hurts a bit but it's never extremely hard and I never lose conciousness but each time I get very worried that I am hurting or damaging my brain, that I am losing brain cells. Is this really the case or am I just mildly hurting my skull? Thanks for your tome.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Eli. When this happens you are not likely damaging the brain, only the skull. The skull is quite thick and is designed precisely to withstand the types of everyday lumps and bumps we get...all the while protecting the brain inside, which is also surrounded by fluid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your response. So I shouldnt worry about these kind of bumps and knocks? They don't affect my brain, only the skull, is that what you are saying?
If so, what kind of knocks do in fact impact the brain?
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Yes, that is what I am saying. The brain is generally well protected from everyday bumps and knocks. The kinds of head injuries that affect the brain adversely are high impact injuries such as helmet-less falls off a bicycle, head to head collisions during sports, motor vehicle accidents, etc. In most cases, there is at least some mild confusion in the aftermath and/or headaches, if not a loss of consciousness.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just confirm one more term for my peace of mind that brain cells arent killed or damaged just by these mild knocks that arent causing loss of consciousness etc?I just worry about it a lot.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

No. Brain cells are not killed by these mild knocks.

Your brain is well protected.

You will be fine.

:-)