Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Symptoms...rapid weight loss, involuntary vomiting, weakness in extremities and fatigue occurring for weeks.

Customer Question
Symptoms....rapid weight loss, involuntary vomiting...
Symptoms....rapid weight loss, involuntary vomiting, weakness in extremities and fatigue occurring for weeks. My doctor has done catscan and full blood work finding nothing. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
6/28/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. can i ask has your doctor tested for hormonal issues like thyroid issues? Which portion of the body has he done a CT scan of? Any other medical conditions or medications that you might be on?

Since you seem to be offline ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Well considering the excessive weight loss and the vomiting which you are having, the first thing i would go for is to get an endoscopy done. This will allow us to look at the inner surface of the stomach which can reveal whether or not your have stomach ulcers. These ulcers can be simple gastric ulcers or can be due to an infection by a bacterium which is known as H.pyroli. Once diagnosed this can be treated with the help of simple antibiotics and also by the use of drugs like omeprazole or stronger medications like dexilant. An endoscopy is the test of choice at this point in time. The weakness in the extremities can be due to the dehydration which you must suffer from because of the repeated vomiting.

Now if a stomach cause has been eliminated then we should consider a neurological cause for the vomiting as well as the weakness in the limbs. A MRI of the brain would be necessary to rule out conditions like MS for example. Now this doesnt mean that you have MS just that you should be evaluated for neurological causes if other things are ruled out.

Another thing which can be considered is that you could have autoimmune conditions which can explain the vomiting as well as weakness in the limbs. This would be determined with the help of tests like ANA and ESR followed by specific tests or a complete ENA profile.

Now lastly the rapid weight loss is very concerning, and a malignancy should be considered as well. rapid weight loss should always be investigated aggressively to look for any malignancies. A MRI of the abdomen would be necessary in some cases to rule out the pancreas as a cause as well.

But first of all an endoscopy should be done.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have hypothyroid and depression. The catscan was chest to pelvis. On mess for thyroid, depression, high blood pressure and omprezole for stomach

Thank you for the additional information.

Well a CT scan would have picked up on any major malignancy so i think that is unlikely to be the cause here. The endoscopy would definitely be the next course of action here. This would determine what the cause is, secondly we can also consider zollinger ellison syndrome which is a condition in which there is markedly increased production of gastric acid leading to these symptoms and can be detected with the help of serum gastrin levels.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

One more thing which can be considered is that you could have adrenal insufficiency which can cause weight loss, weakness, fatigue and vomiting. this would be evaluated with the help of a cortisol level and specific tests for the adrenal glands. You can have you doctor consider this as a cause as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist