Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I pulled my rotator cuff years ago and now my shoulder is

Customer Question
hurting so bad I don't...
I pulled my rotator cuff years ago and now my shoulder is hurting so bad I don't sleep! Also now I can barely lift my right arm, should I go to the ER? Also what do you think it is?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
6/18/2016
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Did pain started all of a sudden?

On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?

Do you have associated swelling?

Numbness in affected arm?

Was it right or left shoulder? Shortness of breath?

Are you on any medications?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pain started in my shoulder about 5 days ago, then I could barely lift my arm starting 3 days ago. The pain right is a 5, but it could shoot up to an 8 in a min. My upper arm is a little swollen. It's the right shoulder. I have no shortness of breath, but I can feel the beat of my pulse in me! I'm taking Diclofenac, cyclobenzaprine! I was also taking Hydrocodone, but I have been out for 2 days!

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, Rotator cuff injuries could be acute or degenerative. As in past, you had pulled rotator cuff, so it could be related with degeneration,inflammation, or trauma of Rotator cuff.

Usually Nonsurgical treatments could improve symptoms for your condition.

Sometimes, it can start all of a sudden, without history of injury.
You can go for warm fomentation over affected shoulder with help of warm water bag.It will help in relieving the pain.

You should take adequate rest and avoid stress and avoid doing any heavy exercise. You should consult your doctor and discuss about physical therapy.
Physical therapy includes various modalities like - Short wave diathermy, Infra red,Wax therapy , these would help you.

You may also need corticosteroid pills, these would be very helpful.

Considering severity of pain, Best bet is to get examined from doctor ASAP. If possible, please get it managed in ER. Their doctor can give of injections to resolve inflammation and pain.

Please get it checked immediately.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear,

If you have any further question then you can ask me.
I'm here to discuss further query until you get satisfaction.
Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Heat doesn't help, and cold makes it hurt worse, would it b a waste to go to ER? I know I didn't sleep last night cause it hurts laying down and I know I won't get any sleep tonight because of this!

Dear,

I am so sorry that you are getting severe pain and it has disrupted your sleep.

At ER, doctor can give you painkiller and anti-inflammatory injections, which can immediately resolve pain.

Once pain, get resolve, then you can get good sleep.

Actually, Hydrocodone is an opioid pain medication, so it was really useful for you.

At this time, home care measures, would not be of much help. You are in severe pain.

Doctor at ER, could prescribe Corticosteroid pills.

Please get this issue managed in ER.

God bless you and take care.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right now the pain is at a 3, but I know as soon as I lay it'll b an 8! I was just at the walk in and the ER, should I really go again?

Dear,

Considering severity of pain, it should not be left ignored.

If pain is of grade 8, then you should immediately rush to ER. You may need injections to resolve such pain.

Please get it checked in ER.

God bless you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if my pain only a 3 for now, then gets worse?

Dear,

When pain is at 3, then you can rest at home. If pain again becomes severe while you lay down, And if pain is severe on a grade of 8, then get it managed in ER.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thank u, I'm just scared on what this could b! Especially not being able to lift my arm!

Dear,

This could be muscle strain/sprain that has affected the shoulder girdle. Pain under the shoulder blade could be a strained rhomboid muscle, which lives down there.
It could also be related with degeneration of Rotator cuff.

For peace of mind, best bet is that you can get examined in ER.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor