Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I'm feeling really bad since yesterday. I believe I have some strong food intoxication.

Customer Question
Hello, I'm feeling really bad...
Hello, I'm feeling really bad since yesterday. I believe I have some strong food intoxication. I feel weak, my head hurts if I try to do anything that requires some effort, I feel.myself hot and sometimes my left hand/arm formigates/ gets a little numb. I'm having some diaherreia. I feel like I need of a doctor.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
6/15/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From what you are describing there are a few conditions which can cause these symptoms, if you have diarrhea alongwith weakness as well as nausea, then it is possible that you might have developed food poisoining. It is also possible that you may have developed bacterial gastroenteritis which is a condition in which the intestines are infected with bacteria. This can cause diarrhea which has blood or mucus in it. The repeated diarrhea can lead to dehydration which in turn can cause weakness, numbness in all the limbs as well as headaches. This can be diagnosed with the help of a clinical examination and then treated with antibiotics. But you do need to stay hydrated as much as possible so you need to drink water and if needed electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade and ORS. Secondly stick to the BRAT diet which consists of bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

Now one thing which i would be worried about is the left arm numbness as well as the headaches. These two symptoms when taken alone can be an indication of a neurological disorder. Although you dont belong to an age group which is at high risk of strokes etc, this does need a clinical examination. A single limb which gets numb doesnt fit into dehydration alone and i would like for you to have this evaluated.

But the likely scenario here is a bacterial infection of the intestines, the hot feeling is likely a fever. And i would suggest that you should stay hydrated but at the same time contact your doctor and get a clinical examination as well as a prescription for possible antibiotics.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist