Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I have a really saw shoulder with pain in my arm . I'm

Customer Question

Hi I have a really saw shoulder with pain in my arm . I'm really worried about ms.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm have anxiety around health and have convinced myself I have ms. I've previously had tingles in my arms and legs, ringing in ears, tingling numb face . My latest symptom is the saw shoulder with shooting pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am 29 year old female and on sertraline.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now a sore shoulder with pain radiating to the arm alone is NOT an indication that you have MS. This sort of pain can be due to a number of conditions, the first one which comes to mind is that you could have a problem with the nerves in the neck. COmpression of nerves in the neck due to a disc prolapse or even arthritis in the neck can lead to pain radiating into the shoulder and the arm. This can cause numbness, tingling as well. the diagnosis is made with the help of a simple xray of the neck as well as a NCS/EMG test. the treatment can be with painkillers, drugs like lyrica and even steroid injections into the neck.

Another cause of this can be related to a shoulder problem. Shoulder tendinitis which is inflammation of the tendons in the shoulder can lead to this problem. MRI of the shoulder can be diagnostic. Similarly if your movement is restricted in teh shoulder, frozen shoulder can be considered as a cause for this as well. Now i would suggest that you start using OTC painkillers like motrin(ibuprofen), aleve (naproxen) and apply topical voltaren gel on it. Application of ice would also be helpful.

But regarding MS , it is unlikely to be MS as it usually also cause numbness and weakness in the legs, blurring of vision, back pain, muscle aches and paralysis. Your other symptoms also can be explained by anxiety as well as electrolyte imbalances or even simple dehydration. None of these sound like MS. But i would suggest that you do see your doctor for the shoulder pain.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for ur reply. I have previously experience tingling in my arms and legs and also tingling in my chin. I know that anxiety can mimic these things. I have previously had a blood test which showed everything was fine in that respect. I've also had my eye sight checked which showed a healthy optic nerve.
I'm just worried what if I'm missing something and it's just been passed off as anxiety ..

Well you shouldnt be worried, all of your symptoms are easily explainable. The main thing is you show now signs of optic nerve involvement that is a sign which commonly occurs in MS. Secondly you havent exhibited any weakness or paralysis of any of the limbs. This is why MS is unlikely to be a diagnosis. You should deal with your anxiety and try to relax. As long as you worry, even the smallest symptom will seem like MS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so tingling and pain alone is unlikely to be ms?

Yes tingling and pain alone is less likely to be MS. Other conditions have to be explored first, the pain as i said can be due to the conditions i mentioned above. The tingling due to anxiety as well as electrolyte issues. However if you are very anxious about MS and this is bothering you, you can always visit a neurologist and im sure that will help you overcome your anxiety.