Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I been having upper back/thoracic pain and cant figure if it

I been having upper back/thoracic pain and cant figure if it is spine or shoulder issues. pain happens when standing up for 5-10 minutes straight. I went to a chiropractor today and they did xrays to see the spine. i wont get results til tomorrow, but they put this hot gel on back shoulder with some pulsating electro-stimulating wand and whenever they put it on one part of my rear shoulder delt, it gives a big throb,pulsatating on my front, side delt bit time and i feel pain all the way to elbow. Before this procedure, I told the chiropractor that this could be a shoulder issue but he said he thinks it is the spine causing all this, even the shoulder issues, but this pulsating wand making my shoulder jump up and hurt, what do you think?

Do you have numbness, tingling sensation, weakness in your arm(s)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no, keep in mind this pain is not happening all the time, only when it flares up, which standing still long time causes this, and when it does, if i press the back of rear delt, i can change the pain that is happening.

It doesn't seem to be due to the compression of the nerve just from the neck spinal cord. Both shoulder or one shoulder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Left shoulder, but read my question and put everything in mind

Do you have any problem (pain) moving the arm in different directions? How old are you? Are you a male or a female? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any other symptoms? When did it start? Is it getting worse? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is your speciality?

General practitioner

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need a neurologist to answer this question. please opt out

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

When I put all the information provided above including the detailed initial information provided by you in your original question I suspect your symptoms are related to the shoulder rather than to the neck. You mention that when pain happens after long standing and if you press the rear delt then you can change the pain – and this pattern certainly points towards a primary shoulder problem rather than a primary neck problem. This looks like a local musculoskeletal problem in the shoulder area and this type of pain could be coming from varieties of soft tissues in the shoulder area including the tendons, ligaments, synovium, muscles, rotator cuff, bone, joint, cartilage etc. I see that an x ray of the spine has been arranged, even if there is some x ray findings in the neck spine area but this symptom still looks like coming from the shoulder itself, rather than from the neck/spine.

You need shoulder investigations like MRI of the shoulder etc which can shed further light into the nature and cause of your symptom and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the area is the infrascapular part of the shoulder, when it flares up, it travels to shoulder, elbow, etc. and when they put this electric shock wand on it, my whole shoulder twitches and it moves my arms. i never seen this before.

Yes, this certainly is originating from shoulder/scapular area rather than from the spine area. An MRI of the shoulder also focusing on the infrascapular region will help. This could be due to an irritated nerve in this area, even inflammation of the tendons (tendonitis) or ligaments in this area too may produce these type of symptoms. First we need to find out what is precisely causing this symptom, and an MRI is the best investigation to start with, once we know what is causing this then it can be treated appropriately. The symptomatic treatments for this type of pain include physical therapy, ultrasound therapy, diathermy, low intensity laser therapy, TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation), Interferential therapy etc, but we need to find out the precise cause so an MRI of the shoulder and infrascapular area should be arranged asap and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

Hi, do you have any further questions for me, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Neuro Doctor

Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience: American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine