How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Board Certified MD
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 29088
Experience:  15 years' clinical experience
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having pain on the outside of the heel area of my right

Customer Question

I am having pain on the outside of the heel area of my right foot......not on the bottom but on the peripheral area
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

When did this pain start?

Is there any swelling or bruising?

Any trauma?

Is it tender to touch and does it hurt when you twist your ankle outwards or inwards?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Pain outside of the heel area can be due to the bone spur formation from the ankle bone or calcaneum.

If the pain is not radiating up, this is not likely neurological problem.

Effective treatments include the following:

Rest — Limiting athletic activities and getting extra rest can help to reduce symptoms. Excessive and repetitive heel impact from jumping, walking, and use of a trampoline should be avoided. A complete lack of physical activity, though, can lead to stiffening and a return of pain, and is not recommended.

Icing — Applying ice to the area, for example, for 20 minutes up to four times daily, may relieve pain. Ice and massage may also be used before exercise.

Exercise — Exercise may be helpful.
Please follow these exercises shown in the link below:

Protective footwear — Athletic shoes, arch supporting shoes (particularly those with an extra-long counter, which is the firm part of the shoe that surrounds the heel), or shoes with rigid shanks (usually a metal insert in the sole of the shoe) may be helpful. Cushion-soled shoes with gel pad inserts or heel cups may provide temporary pain relief. Silicone inserts have been found to provide better support than felt pads or rubber heel cups.
Dr Scholl's is a good brand.

You should get heel xrays and then consult with a podiatrist.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile: