Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

When I'm laying down, facing up with my phone on my stomach

Customer Question

When I'm laying down, facing up with my phone on my stomach while I check social media for a while my arms get numb. It is weird becuase it's not like I'm holding them up, I'm not doing that much of an effort and they tingle.
I would also like to point out that when I run, my toes fall asleep, and this has been happening since around Nov 205. I also have shin splints and that is why I never go running, but I went running the other day and it always happens.
And lastly, on July 24 2015, I felt some face tingling, both sides of the face down to almost the jaw.
When this happened (which was the first symptom) I wrote it down because it caught my attention. I looked it up on the internet and it said that it could be MS and that I should get some tests done. The internet always exaggerates everything, so I just let it pass because I didn't really think I had anything serious. But with the rest of the things that keep happening I'm a little scared.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Do you have numbness on only one side ?

Have you undergone any tests?

Do you get numbness/ cramps in leg at night?

Are you on any medications?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both sides.
I have not undergone any tests.
I do get numbess in my legs when I'm lying down at night as well.
I take adderrall sometimes to study, other than that I don't take other medications.
School can sometimes be very stressful for me.Thank you
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, from the description, it sounds to be Peripheral neuropathy. This can occur with underlying medical condition and should be checked by doctor.

Possible causes are-
-Hormonal disorder- like low levels of thyroid hormone

-Blood sugar disorder
-Liver/ Kidney disease
-Vitamin deficiencies

-Decrease in vitamin B12 levels.

Also, Pressure on the spinal nerves, or pressure on Peripheral nerves may cause such symptoms.

You need to get detailed clinical examination and blood work. This includes-
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) tests
-Electromyography (EMG)
-Blood sugar levels, thyroid function tests, liver/kidney function tests.

To be honest, it is not related with serious issue like MS. Please stop worrying that you suffer from serious medical issue.

Internet search and Dr. Google may only add to confusion, as most of the articles are written by unprofessional.

Please stop reading such stuff. You don't have nay serious medical illness.

You should go for regular exercise, Eat healthy meals, Massage your feet, it helps to improve circulation, stimulates nerves and may temporarily relieve pain. You should avoid prolonged pressure on your feet.

You should use a cold pack to relax muscles.

Also you should formulate an exercise routine and ensure that you build on it gradually.You should avoid alcohol, coffee,tobacco.

You should start with a multivitamin supplement daily.

Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management. If required they may refer you to Endocrinologist for detailed evaluation.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear,

Some typing error. Sorry for that. Please read last line as-

Please consult your primary doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.

Hope this helped

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of doctor should I make an appointment with?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear,

I would suggest you to strat with your Primary doctor. They can clinically examined you and advise tests.

If required, they may refer you to neurologist.

I am sure this is not related with serious issue like MS.

God bless you and take care.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear,

Do you have any follow up questions?Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me Thank youDr.Josh