Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Horrible pain when putting any weight on left leg. Pain is

Customer Question
not going down the leg...
Horrible pain when putting any weight on left leg. Pain is not going down the leg. Can hardly walk..
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
5/26/2016
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Do you have pain from back which radiates towards leg?

On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?

Have you developed redness/ swelling in leg?

For how long you have this problem?

Any recent injury?

Are you on any medications?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Discomfort for five months that comes and goes.today just frrched down to open a drawer and felt a rip. No rednes,pain not going down the leg , maybe an 8 ifI try to ealk
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Taking thyroid med..hyper thyroid. Forteo for osteo.baby aspirin

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Please wait for 5-7 minutes. I am preparing for your answer.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No am deaf
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have Mri scheduled for Sat. What do you think happened? Left lower back.

Dear,

Thanks for your patience.

Well, such chronic leg pain, should not be left ignored and has to be thoroughly investigated by doctor.

After looking at description, it sounds to be any of these possible causes-

1. Nerve compression.

2. Sciatica.

3. Decrease level of potassium, sodium, calcium, or magnesium in the blood.

Most likely, this is related with compression of nerve, and would be diagnosed through MRI.

Good to hear that you have scheduled for MRI.

You should use hot pack to relax tense leg muscles. After this use a warm towel or heating pad later if he have pain or tenderness, you can take a hot bath.
Also massaging the leg muscle will help you.
You should gently stretch leg and move foot towards your knee, until he feel the calf muscles stretch.This will relax leg muscles.
Also you should formulate an exercise routine and ensure that he build on it gradually. You should avoid alcohol, coffee,tobacco.

Back brace can restrict movements, and help in quick recovery.

Stretching exercises for your lower back can help you feel better and may help to relieve nerve root compression.

You can take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like Short wave diathermy,Infra red,Wax therapy ,these will be helpful.

Please see your doctor and get it clinically evaluated. It is not related with serious issue like Blood clot or Varicose veins. No need to worry.

Hope this helped

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

I would recommend that he should visit primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not leg pain at all. Pain on Lower left side of back if I try to put my left leg down to walk

Dear,

Thanks for clarification.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Such pain , in left lower side of back, and pain during putting leg down is indicative of Sciatica.

Compression of sciatica nerve is causing your symptoms. You need to get MRI of lower spine for precise diagnosis.

You can follow these measures to get free from Sciatica pain-

1. You can apply ice packs on your back for 15 minutes, and can be repeated 3-4 times a day.

2. Stretching exercises for your low back can help you feel better and may help to relieve nerve root compression.

3. You should take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like - Short wave diathermy,Infra red and Wax therapy , these will help you a lot.

4. You can continue with OTC Motrin and can be taken in dosage of 400 mg every 4 hours.

5. Muscle relaxants would also be helpful for your condition.

6. You should take bed rest, and remain away from lifting any heavy objects.

7. Your doctor can prescribe certain anti-seizure and anti-depressant medications. It helps in blocking pain messages sent to the brain.

8. As you have such symptoms for long time, so Epidural steroid injections can be advised. An epidural steroid injection places this powerful anti-inflammatory medication directly around the spinal nerves. You can consult orthopedic surgeons, for this treatment.

Please follow measures, as suggested in this post.

I would suggest you to consult Orthopedician for management of this issue.

Hope this helped

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear,

Thanks for clarification.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Hope this helped.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Told you I cannot do phone am deaf

Dear,

I understand that issue. I am not asking you to call.

I have typed my answer. Have you got it ?. I am re-typing again.

Hope this helped.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor