Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My sister-in-law broke her neck and severely injured nerves.

Customer Question

My sister-in-law broke her neck and severely injured nerves. Her left hand is curled up useless and she drags her left leg. She is in constant pain. A chiropractor in Arkansas claim to be able to do something, not really clear on what, to relieve the pain. It has been over 3 years since the accident. The process is very expensive and not covered by insurance. Is this a real possibility?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

This is neuropathic pain, the pain is due to the constant efforts of the sensory nerves to regenerate. Although most sensory receptors never regenerate after 3 years but some of them miswire and form aberrant connections, this causes a referred or phantom pain. I do not see how a chiropractor can be of any help here.

The most appropriate thing to do here will be to see a Plastic or Orthopedic surgeon who has been trained to deal with brachial plexus injuries and can offer muscle transfers like free functional muscle transfers or functional muscle transfers using the regional muscles to restore function of the upper limb and see a pain management specialist who can perform neurolysis on the sensory nerves that have miswired.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Regards.