How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMd Your Own Question
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 64942
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
DrRussMd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband had a total knee replacement October 29, 2015. He

Customer Question

my husband had a total knee replacement October 29, 2015. He is experiencing problems with his knee going to sleep when standing on it or a period of time or walking. His surgeon told him it was the nerve and might or might not get better. Is there anything he can do other than wear a brace. Other than elevating the pain before he is still not able to walk or stand for a long period of time. He is 65 years old.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.


Nerve damage that is going to get better usually does within a year.

Nerve pain can be treated wiHisth a medicine called gabapentin, or lyrica.

Additional information: Pain here might not be from the knee at all: it can be from a disc problem in the lower spine.

If so, it is often correctable.

Take your husband to an MD specialist of physical medicine and rehabilitation.

They are experts in structural diagnosis and treatment, and can probably help align him, even with the artificial knee and improve this pain.

they can also test in the office to see if this is nerve damage.

Please click a positive rating: top of this page.

I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers