How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My catscan showed brain atrophy. I am a79 yr. old man who is

Customer Question

My catscan showed brain atrophy. I am a79 yr. old man who is very sharp mentally!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

This seems to be age related brain changes and are not a true disease associated atrophy .

So in age related atrophy you may have normal brain functions .

You are normal and consider it as normal .

Regards .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .

Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.

Are you there ...

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am a board certified Adult Neurologist and can answer your question. There are a few reasons that your CT scan of the brain could show changes consistent with brain atrophy, that hav-e nothing to do with your mentation. One is that you can have increased spaces along the cortex of the brain, the spaces of Virchow-Robin, which make it look like you have atrophy, or a reduction in size. Normal age related atrophy is measured in men after the age of 50, and averages 0.4-0.8% of the total brain volume per year. But most neuroradiologists will write on the report that the atrophy, "is consistent with age related changes", and if he did not put that on your report, you should see a Neurologist to go over the CT for an explanation. He may decide that you need a Brain MRI, which provides more information as to changes that can occur in the brain, and not be seen on CT. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service as this is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks *****