Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I strained my right oblique muscle about 9 days ago - not

Customer Question

I strained my right oblique muscle about 9 days ago - not exactly sure how. I was in significant pain for the first 3-4 days, but now after 9 days I am feeling considerably better and moving around again. What concerns me is there is still some swelling and numbness in the oblique area. Is this something I can expect to get better with a little more time?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Without an exam, that can not be said.

The fact that it is getting somewhat better is a good sign, but not in all cases.

Some injuries, particularly disc injuries, can heal while leaving structural problems in place.

Then, years later, more severe problems lead to surgery.

I have seen this happen numerous times.

No one here will recommend that you don't have this checked out, as the site does not replace a doctors visit.

Swelling is not a normal finding for simple muscle strain.

Numbness is definitely not normal, and implies radiculopathy and possible nerve damage.

I take it you have had no exam, no imaging, etc?