Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I'm having chronic jiont pain and severe muscle spasms and

Customer Question
cramping JA: The Doctor will need...
I'm having chronic jiont pain and severe muscle spasms and cramping
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me just a bit more information so the Doctor can help you best. For example have you seen a Doctor for this and if so, has there been a diagnosis?
Customer: yes I have been prescribed meloxicam (which is not effective). I was also told to take Magnesium for the cramping which I do, (also not helping).
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I also have trouble with sleepin more than 4 hrs at a time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
4/27/2016
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having chronic joint pain and severe muscle spasms.

how old are you?

are you a man or woman?

you need more blood testing to check for rheumatoid arthritis which can cause severe joint pain and spasms. there are treatments for rheumatoid arthritis.

you could have an autoimmune disorder which should be tested for

you could have fibromyalgia which can be treated with lyrica or cymbalta.

you should get blood potassium and magnesium tests to check

you should get thyroid hormone levels checked.

you should get MRI scans of your spine to check for pinched nerves or spinal stenosis which can cause some muscle spasms.

it doesn't sound like you have had these tests.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

do you have any other questions?

Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am an Adult Board Certified Neurologist and will answer your question about cramps (fasciculations) and joint pain, The other expert is correct in his assessment, but you need a Neurologist to examine you and do some testing on your muscles and nerves, to give you a diagnosis. If you have seen a Neurologist, and received an EMG report, please upload that report minus your name (this is a public forum) and I can discuss the findings and treatment options. Do you have vascular disease, smoke cigarettes? Get back to me with this information and answer the questions from the other MD as they are important in deciding your condition. I will reply. Dr Frank

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am a 68 yo female (retired RN). I have not had any testing for RA but do have mild sympyoms including a nodule on my right forefinger.
My daughter has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
My last lab values in 9/15 were:
TSH 0.47
Mg 2.1 mg/dl
K 4.3 mmo/l (9/14
I am um unable to have a MRI subsequent to a SAH repair with clip in 1980.
I have no diagonosis of any vascular disease and do not smoke cigaretts but use marijuana intermittently. It is usually higher in the CBD component nd lower in THC. I find this helpful for pain and sleep.

disorders such as polymyalgia rheumatica or polymyositis need to be considered, so if not done, a CK level, aldolase, and sedimentation rate. I would say unlikely that you have ischemic vascular problems as per your risk factors, a non smoker. The TSH and electrolytes are fine. The Neurologist would do the EMG, especially the needle exam to look at your motor units on activation, if there is a hyperrecruitment pattern the units are small and rapidly firing, then again, you are considering a rheumatologic inflammatory muscle disease as a reason for the cramping, so I would not be so concerned you cannot get that MRI if your neurological exam is otherwise ok.

I hope that helps. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help and I will reply. If you get those lab tests, and need an explanation, just upload them and I will discuss them with you. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks Dr frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician