How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 5355
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When is it adviseable to see a neurosurgeon as opposed to

Customer Question

When is it adviseable to see a neurosurgeon as opposed to neurologists, for discerning some of these issues.
If discs are bulging, when is it that you begin to consider surgery
I would like to go as long as I can ( tolerating pain) I do have some numbness definitely weakness.
But don't want to cause further damage
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

I understand totally. Seeing a neurologist makes sense for now, and getting the nerve conduction studies. If they show nerve damage, then seeing a neurosurgeon makes more sense. Either way, seeing a neurosureon does not commit you to having surgery. They would likely paint a few different scenarios for you (e.g. waiting, injections, surgery) and let you decide which you prefer pursuing at this time.