How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 18765
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has numbness of his right cheek jaw area and his

Customer Question

My husband has numbness of his right cheek jaw area and his ear
JA: Any sort of numbness or tingling is disconcerting. Fortunately, the MDs we work with have a lot of experience with issues like this. How long have you been dealing with the sensation? Got it. Getting more information is always a good call -- the neurologist will know how to best investigate the situation with you. Any other symptoms you'd care to mention before I connect you two? Please give me just a bit more information so the Neurologist can help you best. For example have you seen a Neurologist for this and if so, has there been a diagnosis?
Customer: 15 minutes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Neurologist should know?
Customer: no other symptoms, like stroke related
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

How old is your husband?

Does he have any chronic medical problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
64 and no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

It takes some time to type an answer.

Numbness and tingling in a limited area, such as the cheek and ear, is not as concerning as more diffuse numbness and tingling. The fact that he also does not have any other symptoms is also reassuring.

If he does not have any chronic medical problems, that would also mean that there is no condition to increase his risk for a stroke, although there is some risk for any 64 year old man.

The most common cause of localized numbness and tingling would be irritation of the local nerve, such as from inflammation. It would be fine to try an anti-inflammatory medicine, such as naproxen, to see if the symptoms improve. If the symptoms improve quickly, then there is less concern and no need to be seen, but if the symptoms do not improve quickly, it would be better for him to be seen

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard back whether the naproxen helped quickly.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.