Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had tinnitus for several months now and am having an

Customer Question

I have had tinnitus for several months now and am having an mri soon. Won't the noise of the mri, (even with earplugs) make the tinnitus worse? And will an open mri be just as effective as the closed mri? How long will the mri take?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Yes it can.

Open MRI will be less noisy.

Hence you should opt for that.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable and authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am an Adult Neurologist, and my subspecialty is in Neuroimaging, using high field MRI and PET. I strongly disagree with the previous expert. Tinnitus is a problem of deficits noted on your audiometry, it is usually caused by decreases in high frequency response, which causes an overshoot by the auditory system of the inner ear (utricle/saccule) and is perceived as a buzzing. In MRI, you are given very good earplugs, and the noise stimulus caused by the turning of the gradient coils is a low to mid range frequency noise. It is not going to make your tinnitus worse, and there is absolutely no difference between open and closed MRI's with the same field strength. So unless you are claustrophobic, you should go with a 3 Tesla regular MRI (80 cm bore) to get the best high resolution pictures. It is not going to effect your hearing or your tinnitus. You may feel a bit dizzy or lightheaded as your enter the magnetic field, because the change in field strength can cause ionic fluid in the inner ear to move slightly, but you will habituate, it will only last a few seconds if at all. Please get back to me if you have questions and I will reply, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****