How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an arachnoid cyst behind my right eye that has in

Customer Question

I have an arachnoid cyst behind my right eye that has doubled in size since it was first discovered 21 years ago. I recently have started having frequent tonic-clonic as well as partial seizures. I've bad migraines since the same age I was diagnosed with the arachnoid cyst 21 years ago. They are " complicated" migraines and I will loose all feeling in half of my body and or loose my vision. I live in a rural area and the Nero-surgeons up where I live are now reffering me to university of denver (*****from me) they can't get me in to see a doc there until July 7th. I'm truly miserable and have no quality of life right now . My question is is it likely that the cyst is causing my symptoms ( seizures, migraines , numbness in extremities and constant nausea ) ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also they have me on Keppra 1000md BID and Ativan as needed but I'm still getting seizures daily and honestly have very little quality of life. Is there any other medications I should ask about ?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

HI. Given that the size of the arachnoid cyst has changed dramatically, and I assume this is an acquired cyst (from head trauma?) rather than a congenital cyst (from birth), I would suggest that your pain needs surgery. They can do a fenestration procedure endoscopically (meaning they make a little burr hole, go in with a scope and fix the cyst by making a little shunt or drain into an area to reduce the pressure) .

Alternatively, about another medication. You could ask your doctor if taking Diamox (acetazolamide) to reduce your CSF pressures would help to reduce your complicated migraine symptoms. The standard dose is one 500 mg sequel twice to three times a day, then reducing the dose to the lowest necessary to control your symptomatic pain.

I hope that helps. Please get back to me if you have questions and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. I can also call you, but for an additional fee as JA charges extra for this premium service. I will put out that option box. Or just write back until you are satisfied. thanks *****

Related Neurology Questions