Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Pain in Right shoulder blade between the blade and spine and

Customer Question
right rib pain under right...
Pain in Right shoulder blade between the blade and spine and right rib pain under right breast sometimes through breast to sternum. When I turn my neck left it sends shooting pain down my spine. Also hurts more when I take deep breaths. The Space between my shoulder blade and spine is always in pain. It's also hard to turn on my right side going left. If I sit up straight it doesn't hurt as bad unless I turn my neck. Should I consult a chiropractor or my doctor first? Is it my spine or my ribs? I don't have a gall bladder so I know it can't be that.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
4/8/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

HI. Welcome to JA. From your description as a Neurologist, I would say the pain between your shoulder blade and vertebral column is rhomboid muscle spasm, and the pain under your breast through the breast to the sternum is serratus anterior spasm. these are two muscles of the shoulder girdle or system. They both get their innervation from nerves that run off the cervical spine, specifically at the C4/5 and C5/6 vertebral disc levels (C 5 root primarily). So the other symptoms you describe, where it hurts more to turn your neck, and it hurts more to take deep breaths, all suggest that your problem is a pinched cervical nerve root, most likely at C5 but it could also be at C6 as well. You are very young to have cervical disc disease, or osteoarthritis of the cervical spine, with facet joint hypertrophy. Facet joints are in the cervical spine, and will cause more pain with turning your neck. So my question would be if you have a family history of cervical disc disease/osteoarthritis, or rheumatoid arthritis? Or if you have any other medical problems, autoimmune diseases? Or if you were in some traumatic event with a whiplash injury in a car accident, etc. Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. You need an examination by a neurologist, or a good chiropractor who knows his neurology (many do). He needs to test your muscle strength in specific muscles of the shoulder girdle and arm, and check your deep tendon reflexes. If they are abnormal, then an MRI of the Cervical Spine may be warranted, and maybe an EMG test to look at nerve function in your effected muscles. Alternatively, there are diffuse muscle conditions, like fibromyalgia, where you can have discreet pain in specific muscles. Called Trigger points or tender points, there is an area where you press to cause more pain. Do you have that? Again, in fibro, you are looking for a family history of rheumatoid arthritis. Get back to me to discuss this further as I mentioned, and I will reply, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks Dr frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician