Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My name, is Erin. I had brain surgery, 3 times, in my life,

Customer Question
Hello. My name, is...
Hello. My name, is Erin. I had brain surgery, 3 times, in my life, and ever since, I had brain surgery, I've had headaches. I also have a VNS device put in me, to control my seizures. All I wanted, was answers, to what's causing them. I'm being accused, by my best friend, of just wanting to be put on pain meds. I've been to the best hospital, in our area, and even he tells me, that I'm a rare case. It's very frustrating. I'm so sick, of all of my neurological disorders, and I didn't know, who else to turn to. They were supposed to, do a spinal tap, and they didn't, and I don't know why. Please answer me. I'm desperate. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/4/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I hope I can ease your angst and send you some valuable information. What answers do you need? How can I help? If you need a description of your specific type of epilepsy, please send me the names or a description of your seizures, your family history of epilepsy, what meds you take and I will reply. Or ask questions. Dr Frank

I will also put out the phone option if you need me to call you. JA charges extra for this premium service, but if you need that service, just put your phone number in the offer box, and a time to call if not now. I will then call you and we can discuss your problems over the phone. Dr Frank

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wanted to know, why I'm still having seizures, when I have a VNS device, put in me, what's causing my headaches, and my confusion, and why they haven't done the spinal tap. I was recently in the hospital again, on the neurological unit, and even the top doctors, can't explain it. My best friend, and her fiance, accuse me, of lying about it, and it's like I want to go off, because, they try to play doctor, and tell me what's best, ***** ***** told them everything. I have partial complex seizures, and really bad headaches. They've got me, on so many medications.

Erin, I cannot answer your question without any information. If you have your neurological consultation records from the hospital, you can attach them here, but you would have to remove your name from them, as this is a public forum. The Neuro consult or the records will give you an answer. You have a right to your records, so if you need to contact Medical Records at the hospital first, you can do that and then come back to discuss them with me. VNS units, epilepsy medications, none of these cure you of epilepsy. There is no cure for epilepsy, even epilepsy surgery is not a cure usually, although it has the potential. Only 15% of all epilepsy patients are cured of their disease after surgery, and 58% do not have an improved quality of life after surgery, they do not go back to work or have improved cognitive performance. So that may answer your question, but answers to why they did not do the lumbar puncture I cannot answer. Get back to me if I can help, or if satisfied with this answer, please rate my service by clicking on the rating stars. thanks *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They have me, on vimpat, klonopin, paxil, Elavil, fierocet, and oxycodone.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would I do that.

How would you do what? You have epilepsy,, depression/anxiety, chronic pain, chronic headache based on that list of medications. Dr Frank

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would I, have the medical records sent to you?

You can contact customer service using the link you see at the bottom of your page, or email them at***@******.*** and send them electronically (scan and email). They will then post them to me, but again, this is public so others will be able to see them, you need to take your name off them first. Or if you look at the window, there is a paperclip icon to upload files. There is also a chain link icon to upload URL addresses from webpages. You can use those as well and I can see them now. Dr Frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician