dr abid
dr abid, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  I have ten years of experience to handle patients in different fields including Neurology.
16766337

My dad recently fractured is hip and he learned that he has

Customer Question

Hi, my dad recently fractured is hip and he learned that he has osteolysis; which I presume is the cause of the fracture as he had no trauma to the area. He is now considering a hip revision surgery. My questions pertains to the osteolysis. Do most patients have revisions who are are diagnosed with osteolysis? Are there drugs that can slow the progression?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by the way, there is no signs of loosing at this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a copy of the CT scan results.
Expert:  dr abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ..

Thank you for the question ...

Human bones have both osteophytes bone forming cell and Osteoclast bone loosing cells , with advancing age Osteoclast activity dominates results in to Osteoprosis and ultimately bone fracture .

Drugs like calcium help to increase bone mass , meanwhile Bisphosphonates drugs help to stop bone lysis by limiting the activity .

So yes osteolytic activity could be the reason in his case .

I would suggest you to discuss with his dr regarding use of bisphosphontes .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .