Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I had known diagnosis of scoliosis since age 17. At 59, My

Customer Question
lumbar area seems to...
I had known diagnosis of scoliosis since age 17. At 59, My lumbar area seems to be collapsing with narrowing of L-3 nerve root and slightly bulging disks at many levels. The vertebrae appear actually appear crunched down and the curves to the right. my symptoms are lower back pain that moves around(right now, I have sharp pains on my left plus all over ache) and intermittent intense pain in my right thigh. I was told by a recommended surgeon that it had nothing to do with the scoliosis and that surgery would only be considered due to loss of function or incapacitating pain. Does this sound right? I am an L&D nurse and was hoping to retire after 65. I have had an injection at L-3 that didn't help, PT, chiropractor, massage, heat, etc. I was wondering if this plan of care was common among all adult deformity surgeons.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
4/1/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello Welcome to JA. I am a Neurologist, not an orthopedic surgeon, but I would ask about your MRI scan, if you have the report, please upload it minus your name, as this is a public forum. I can review it and give you some ideas on approach, including surgical options. I assume by injection that you meant epidural steroid injection by fluoroscopy? Have you considered more aggressive options like kyphoplasty or vertebroplasty if needed for your vertebral bodies that are compressed? Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Dr Frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician