Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Intermittent twitching all over body, that has been going on

Customer Question
for 7 years. Has recently...
Intermittent twitching all over body, that has been going on for 7 years. Has recently gotten worse but still comes and goes. Feel it on my head, back, calves, arms thighs. Now I get little jolts, finger jolts periodically. Body occasionally jolts when going to sleep. I function ok during the day. Every now and I again I drop stuff but I guess that is expected for a 41 yr. old male. Things just don't work as well as they use to. I have extreme anxiety about ALS. Saw a neurologist last June. She said it was benign muscle fasciulation syndrome. Any thoughts???
JA: Your nerves are the communications system for your body so you are doing the right thing consulting our Expert about anything to do with them. Losing comms is not good. Is there anything else the Neurologist should be aware of?
Customer: I don't have what I would consider profound weakness.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
3/30/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. The most common problem given your explanation of symptoms is BFS, benign fasciculation syndrome. Dropping stuff is not the type of symptom associated with more serious motor neuron diseases like ALS. Those symptoms first primarily effect gait or coordination as you have spasticity or stiffness.The fasciculations or twitches effect muscles in a focal pattern, you then see atrophy or a wasting away of muscle tissue, and with that weakness. The body jolts suggests nocturnal or startle myoclonus, another common and normal condition that happens in the transition from awake to sleep. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, and I will reply. Or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician