Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I suspect I have vagus nerve damage with slow transit bowel

Customer Question

I suspect I have vagus nerve damage with slow transit bowel problems. Should I see a gastroenterologist or a neurologist first?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
He!llo. What studies have you had done to access stomach motility? ( gastroparesis)? Has the Doc checked your leptin values? Are you overweight ? You might need a vagal nerve stimulator, have you been tested? Get back to me with more information. To answer your question it depends on what has been done this far. Dr Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just become aware of this problem. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist in three weeks. None with a neurologist.
I am overweight, not obese . So no tests have been done yet.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
Well the approach of the gastro and the neuro are different. I happen to do some research in the field and for you the gastro makes more sense. The GI tract actually controls what happens in the hypothalamus by sending messenger molecules which directly effect vagal output as a circuit. The gastro can now investigate and modulate those pathways. In Neuro, we could add medications like topiramate to control GI motility and hunger but the GI guys are better at it. dr Frank
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.
the gastro makes more sense. The GI tract actually controls what happens in the hypothalamus by sending messenger molecules which directly effect vagal output as a circuit. The gastro can now investigate and modulate those pathways. In Neuro, we could add medications like topiramate to control GI motility and hunger but the GI guys are better at it. dr Frank