How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have what feels like a swollen vein around my right

Customer Question

I have what feels like a swollen vein around my right temple. Is there something I can do for the pain and headache? Migraine meds and ibuprofen aren't helping
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Well you can ice it to reduce the inflammation. What migraine medications have you tried? A triptan type of med? any ergot types you have available? If you are older, any chance you have temporal arteritis? A family history of rhematoid arthritis? Let me know Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 32, and no arthritis in family history. I have sumatriptan for migraines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The spot is pretty painful, I thought maybe I had hit it on somethings. I can feel the swollen area under my scalp.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

No, you are too young for arteritis. It is just your migraine. All you can do is hydrate yourself and ice the spot to reduce the swelling. I prescribe sumatriptan to be taken as soon as possible in the onset of the migraine, then to repeat it in 2 hours if no better. did you try that? Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

You can also take a special NSAID medication, indomethacin, although using just aleve (naprosyn) at 400 mg with food might help the swelling. Dr Frank