Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I'm 27 years old and have never experienced a panic attack

Customer Question
before. Stress and issues I...
I'm 27 years old and have never experienced a panic attack before. Stress and issues I am normally very good at handling and not letting it consume me.
I'm going to explain everything leading up to my situation.
In July 2015 I got engaged to my girlfriend. In late August 2015 I started having chiropractic done and September 11th my dog of 10 years passed away.
Ok let me explain the chiropractic. I work outdoors landscaping and applying pest control and fertilizer cleaning pools pressure washing all labor type work. I've always had lower back pain and I assume it's from my work. So I started going to my local chiropractor. He took X-rays and explained my spine is curved to the left because my left leg is slightly shorter than my right and my hip is misaligned because of it. So he started me on 2 adjustments per week. He also had me lay on a table that pulls your top half of your body and bottom half away from eachother. My pain went away, he added a lift to the inside of my shoe. Then after 26 years I was at dinner with my family and got a feeling like I couldn't take a complete breath and I started panicking thinking I was about to have a heart attack. This lasted for about 1 hour. Because of that I started paying close attention to my breathing and would start getting the same feeling come on. A few nights later went to eat somewhere else and had a beef salami sandwich which I guess caused food poisoning the stomach pains caused me to have another panic attack. I went to the doctor the next day had blood work done, EKG, and a 24 hour urine test. Everything came back normal. Doctor gave me a prescription for Paxil I tried it for a month increased my panic attacks made me lethargic and I could t even work so I stopped it. I also stopped the chiropractic in November. I tried handling it without Medication for a few weeks but in the mornings I would feel nauseas have a brain fog and get weird tingly all over body sensations stronger in my neck and back of head. So I went to the doctor and asked for buspar and have been on it for two months now. I have also had acid reflux and abdominal discomfort come on since this all started. Every slight pain or discomfort anywhere I think is something horrible like if I get a headache is it a brain tumor? Stomach pain is my gallbladder? So on and so fourth. Normally if I am busy I notice nothing but if I start to relax I occasional get weird sensations in my neck and back of head which freaks me out. Or quick pains under my right rib. Basically I don't seem to get full blown panic attacks now but occasional symptoms of one. It messes me up and I fear all day long something else will happen. Two doctors have told me now that it's anxiety related and that anxiety can cause unknown pains etc.
I feel as if having chiropractic work has caused all this. Sometimes I have sciatic never pain in my thigh which is what the chiropractor told me.
Can this have caused this? If not what else could it be? Are my doctors diagnoses correct?
What else can I do? I'm not the fun non worrying guy I use to be. :/ I hate thinking I have to live the rest of my life with these weird sensations.
Any help would be great! Please! Thank you!
Also my father and mother were diagnosed with anxiety mom took medication buspar for a year in her 30's and hasn't needed it since but dad still takes Paxil for it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
3/10/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello welcome to JA. I am here to discuss your issues.

You do not have a brain tumor based on your symptoms, but with all of this familial anxiety/depression have you had a brainMRI ? Get back to me to discuss. How Can I help?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I haven't. And both doctors say there's no need?

Your doctors must feel your sensations are from anxiety ( a known cause ) rather that something more organic. You need a good neurological exam from a neurologist ( not a psychiatrist) to determine need. Dr Frank

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any chance it could be a pinched nerve from the chiropractor or a damaged muscle or tendon that I can't feel but my brain is reacting to it?

Certainly the diffuse nature of your symptoms cannot be explained by one nerve from the spine. In addition to strange sensations, you would have numbness and possibly weakness. You can have sensory neuropathies or demyelinating lesions in the brain but your doctors feel otherwise. I hope that helps. If satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. I will put out the phone option if you wish me to call you to discuss this further. Dr Frank

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi, Please look for a different Expert. Thanks

Neurologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello, this is Dr. Love. You requested another expert, but did not specify what additional information you would like.

The other expert is correct that the various symptoms that you describe would involve multiple nerves,whereas someone with a pinched nerve would have symptoms that follow the anatomy of the nerve that is pinched, and that would be true whether the nerve is pinched because of an underlying disease or as a complication of chiropractic care. Similarly, there would not be this pattern of symptoms if there had been damage to a muscle or tendon.

The other expert is also correct that symptoms are not as good an indicator of whether there is significant neurologic disease as are the findings on a complete neurologic examination. Consequently, the findings on neurologic examination is a far better indication of whether additional testing is warranted, such as an MRI.

If the neurologic examination is completely normal, then it would be appropriate to consider a different medicine for anxiety.

If there is additional information that would be helpful, please let me know.

This question appeared on the Question List again, but I do not see a follow-up question.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor