Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have numbness on my thumb, and the next 2 fingers and the…

Customer Question
I have numbness on my...
I have numbness on my thumb, and the next 2 fingers and the outside of the Arm, when I'm laying down our even driving. For about a week now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/6/2016
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Your symptom of numbness in the areas you have mentioned is suspicious for a nerve injury (early stages) and this can be due to median nerve injury in the wrist area called as CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome). The median nerve may get injured in the upper forearm area too called as Pronator teres syndrome and cause this type of symptom in the fingers and the hand. Rarely this type of symptom may come from injury in the more proximal area like brachial plexus or from the cervical spine (neck area) in the form of pinched spinal nerve etc.

You may try to see a neurologist so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination followed by certain appropriate investigations like a nerve and muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test and any other tests as necessary and once final precise diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately, for example if CTS diagnosis is made then the treatment for this nerve injury includes wearing a wrist brace, reducing repetitive movements across the wrist as much as possible, PT/OT , Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) supplementation etc and these measures are sufficient in most of the cases, if not sufficient then there are many more treatment options that are available for the management of this type of nerve injury, and if the neurological evaluation and EMG nerve test reveals any other type of nerve injury then it will be treated appropriately depending upon the final precise diagnosis. An early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick and complete cure so please try to see a neurologist as soon as possible.

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

This pain goes up to my shoulder.

Hi, thanks for all these additional information and I am very sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was away from the computer and just returned.

Please see that patients with carpal tunnel syndrome very rarely can have symptoms in the arm and even upto shoulder too however we also need to explore other possibilities like injury to portion of brachial plexus (which is located near to the shoulder), or pinched spinal nerve which also can produce symptoms like numbness, pain etc in the fingers, hand, arm and can extend upto the shoulder too. Pinched spinal nerve coming from the neck may not always produce neck symptoms. Clinically they all can resemble each other whereas an EMG/Nerve conduction test can easily tell us exactly which nerve injury is causing your symptoms so you may try to undergo an EMG/Nerve conduction test asap. In the meantime if the symptoms are bothering you a lot and if you are seeking some treatments then you may ask your doctors to prescribe a nerve-pain pill like Gabapentin or Amitriptyline etc which can provide good relief from these nerve injury related symptoms.