Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have servere pain on my left rib cage. this has been going…

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** ***** and I have servere pain on my left rib cage. this has been going on for a week now. one dr told me I have copd,no x-rays done or anything. I went to another dr and he told me I have shingles. what ever it is, is very painful, I cant touch it or sleep. what is your opionion. please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
if it is shingles how long does it take for the rash to appear?
3/4/2016
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

This is Dr. David

if your doctor thought it was shingles, they should have given you antiviral medications like acyclovir pills and creams for when the shingles virus comes on.

some people can have prodrume pain in a dermatome nerve distribution for a few days prior to rash and blisters coming on the skin.

you should get a rib xray or better yet, a chest CT scan to look for rib fracture and other causes since your pain is quite severe.

go back and see your doctor and ask for more testing like a chest CT scan and a rib xray

and medications like a lidocaine 5% patch and also antiviral agents like acyclovir or valcyclovir if they think it is still shingles infection.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com