Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

A day ago I noticed a pain in the back of my lower leg,

Customer Question
right above the achilles tendon...
A day ago I noticed a pain in the back of my lower leg, right above the achilles tendon. I can feel the pain a bit when walking around, but it is most pronounced when I press on the area. The area is slightly reddish. I feel a little bump when I run my fingers over the area, but there does not appear to be much swelling.
Should I be concerned about this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
3/1/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

The pain associated with a bump just above the Achilles is a partial tear in the fascia which the soleus and both gastrocnemius muscles use in inserting into the Achilles. With time this will heal and resolve. To reduce discomfort you can wrap it with an ace bandage or ice it if it is less than 48 hours old. Using some NSAID like aleve will help. Get back to me if you have questions and I will reply or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks dr Frank

You should not be concerned about this problem, it is not a DVT if that is your fear. Dr Frank