How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Frank Your Own Question
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 9000
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Frank is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pain in my right side toward the back. It is

Customer Question

I have a pain in my right side toward the back. It is usually barely noticeable but it increases when I walk. It becomes sharp when I bend over certain ways or when my rambunctious dog suddenly pulls on the leash. This has been going on for a couple months now, and it is getting worse. My doctor thought it was a muscle problem, but the suggested back exercises didn't help.
I am 77, male, and in generally good health. I take medicine for blood pressure, reflux, and a statin drug. Any ideas for what to do next?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

HI. Welcome to JA. What do you mean exactly by "in my right side toward the back" It is on the attachment to your rib cage from the abdominal muscles on the front? Or is it the latissimus dorsi muscle on the back as it comes up to your shoulder, or trapezius on the back as it comes down to your lumbar vertebra. On issue about right sided pain either in front or from behind is that your liver capsule can get irritated from any liver disorder, like hepatitis, or alcoholic hepatitis, or you can have kidney disease with pain in the flank area, the area in your middle back just above the posterior part of your pelvis. Also, if you suspect that you have muscle strain in the lumbar paravertebral muscles as your PCP suggested, and it doesn't get better with stretching and exercises after resting, then you have to consider a bone problem in the vertebra, like a compression fracture or a "pars fracture" of the posterior vertebral segments where the muscles attach. Have you had an xray of your lumbar/thoracic spine as part of this evaluation by your doc? Did he feel muscular spasm when he tested you? did he check any blood work? Please get back to me with answers and I will reply. You are on statins and you have reflux, so this could be part of GERD or liver problems related to taking statins (biliary atresia/cholecystitis). So first tell me more about your pain, ok? Dr frank