Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I used icy hot on my neck and went to take a shower and now…

Customer Question
I used icy hot on...
I used icy hot on my neck and went to take a shower and now it looks like this and is burning. What do I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
Photos
2/25/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Use some soap in the shower again. If that doesn't help, you need some isopropyl alcohol and a cotton wipe to remove residual solvent which is effecting your skin. If your skin is red, you may have an allergic reaction and should not use it again. I hope that helps. Dr Frank

I've used the same icy hot before in the same area and never had a reaction. It is physically burning after taking a hot shower. Is it possibly a reaction from heat? Some type of burn? Can you look at the photo? Thanks.

Yes the hot shower let the icy hot penetrate in an area that is very sensitive. That is called an arthrus reaction for the chemical irritation in a vulnerable area. Put a cold compress on the area after getting as much off as you can. If this persists you need a medrol dose pack to reduce the histamine response, or if you have any antihistamine at home like Claritin or benedryl lotion use that. Dr Frank

I hope I was able to help. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank