How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Rick, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 11272
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Rick, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Roggio. Ive been having while already this weird thing that

Customer Question

Ramirez Roggio. Ive been having for a while already this weird thing that happens all of a sudden. I get like my neck really swollen that iget all of a sudden really fat from neck and face, feel my ear plugged and also like a numbness in my neck. Also my left leg gets swollen a lot different days. It has been happening already for months. But it keeps getting worst. Now my face just looks fat. I feel swollen. I feel something is not right and is wrong.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It happens all of a sudden. Sometimes its only the left leg, sometimes its only the neck and sometimes its both. The thing is i take even pictures and I can see the huge difference especially in the neck. It gets huge and my face also. Its annoying because sometimes it gets so swollen that I feel like if i can't breath. However, im used to it already. I seriously feel something is wrong. Also i do have sometimes pain in that left leg. Like joint pains.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Doctors generally expect a deposit of about $34 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another thing. My throat doesn't hurt or my ear. My tonsils don't look irritated or swollen. I have had sometimes also like clear drips coming out from my nose. Not all the time. Sometimes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been gone since November all of these symptoms so its weird for me and im worried. Im only 23. I really thought it could've been the mucus or an infection however since im having the leg edema i don't think that relates with one another.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i meant it started in november, not gone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also i want to add I've been to doctors. One told me it could've been my thyroid but its fine. They saw were exactly it was located and said it could be bacterial infection. So i took ampicillin, kept happening, then i took chephalexin something like that, kept happening anyways. So i don't know what else it can be and how get rid of it.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How old are you?


how tall are you and what do you weigh?

Do you smoke?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
23, Female, 5'2", 128, yeah i smoke but not everyday, Hashimoto/ADHD, synthroid and adderall
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been suffering with this issue for so long.

Trying to figure out what is going on and how to treat is, really, going require getting another evaluation and workup.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you have no idea what it could be? I live in Puerto Rico so that is pretty far.
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 1 year ago.

You are correct....Puerto Rico is long way from USA based teaching hospitals.

As you might imagine with a condition as long standing and complex as yours, where your personal MD'S who have had hands-on access to you, your complete history and all possible tests -- and yet been unable to come up with a correct diagnosis -- it is impossible for me to figure this on by chatting online.

Yes, I could give you a laundry list of differential diagnosis possibilities, but that would not solve your issue as this is probably not, as you already know, something that can be dealt with at home...even if you could put a name to the problem.

So. Even in Puerto Rico there must be a collection of highly trained sub specialists....I would start with an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor as well as an internal medicine specialist.

As you already found out throwing random antibiotics at the problem is not the way to go.....

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS