Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having migraines for about 2 years now. I just…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having migraines for about 2 years now. I just had an MRI on Thursday with contrast and I have several white spots on the top of my brain. Could these be calcium deposits? If so, could these be the cause of my migraines?

Doctor's Assistant: Your nerves are the communications system for your body so you are doing the right thing consulting our Expert about anything to do with them. Losing comms is not good. Is there anything else important you think the Neurologist should know?

I have been extra clumpsy (losing grip in my hands, falling, losing balance), I attributed it up to being overweight, but I've never been this clutzy. I do have memory loss and I can't ever seem to stay focused.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/22/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. if you have migraine, then on your MRI scan you have T2 punctate hyperintensities in your periventricular white matter, otherwise known as leukoaraiosis. They are not calcium deposits, they actually are areas where the very small capillaries that course through the brain are friable or fragile, and they leak fluid. This is a result of the neurochemical changes in the brain seen in patient with migraine, where the blood vessels are reactive, they dialate, then constrict during the migraine, and cause these changes. They are not a cause of your migraine, they are the end result. Leukoaraiosis is a non-specific finding, meaning this can happen in a variety of other conditions, like diabetes, hypertension, smoking, high cholesterol, if you have a family history of them, you can have them with no symptoms. For example , if you have a family history of migraine, studies have shown that even non symptomatic members of the family can have these changes, yet not have migraine!. What do they mean? Well for most, nothing, but there has been some correlation to higher incidence of stroke and dementia, but not in everyone. I hope that answers your question. Please get back to me to discuss this further, and I will reply. Or if satisfied, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work Thanks *****

I did not currently have a migraine when I had my MRI scan with contrast. My last migraine was last week, I typically get 2-3 a week. Are these spots something I should be concerned with? I am still pending the radiologist report, I just want to be prepared for my family of the worst case scenario.

They indicate a chronic history of migraine, although the number of these tiny spots may correlate with the severity of the migraine syndrome. You don't have to have a migraine at the time of the scan to show this finding. But this is not cancer, or a stroke, and most doctors will just minimize this issue, as they are extremely common in the general population. I would say they indicate that migraine is something to consider as a problem, that you need to control them as best you can. But it is not a serious problem. Dr frank