Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My mother lander in a nursing home three years ago because…

Customer Question
My mother lander in a...
My mother lander in a nursing home three years ago because of a broken arm she was taking Zeneca for anxiety and levodopa for Parkinson's tremor. Since she was not allowed back in her home with care she has remained in the nursing home her condition has deteriorated to a near comatose state. She sleeps nearly 16 hours a day she was given clomazapan at the beginning of her stay which took away all of her ability to walk feed hersel talk and basically turned her into a zombie I got her caretakers to get her off of that and for her shaking they give her sine met. I got the doctor to reduce the dosage to 2 tablets a day but she is completely bed ridden and can't get out of bed on her own or go to the bathroom on her own. The nursing home says they are now a no lift building so my mother is lifted out of bed and put on the toilet at their convenience. Can you tell me if she is over medicated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/22/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond Dr frank

What size sinemet is she taking? 10/100, 25/100, or 25/250?. Taking two tablets is a small dose, but it has to be adjusted for changes in renal clearance, which at her age is probably down. One problem with sinemet is that she has to take at least 50 mg of carbidopa, the smaller number, daily to prevent peripheral metabolic effects. So if she is only taking 10/100 tablets, she may not be taking enough carbidopa, and could have side effects. The important point about this medication is that it does not treat tremor well at all, there are better medications, but sinemet is to give her some gas, it should make it easier to move. There are many factors as how long she has had parkinson's, how bad is the problem, if mobility is important for her at this point, etc. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Dr frank

25/100 mg levodopa/carbidopa is what she is taking twice a day. She has never been diagnosed with parkinsons but has parkinsons tremor and some dementia. Three years ago she was able to walk, eat, talk and was independently living in her home with some care. She was on Xanax and levodopa while in her home, she fell and broke her arm and landed in a nursing home to heal. Her caretakers allowed the doctor on staff to give her clonazapan for anxiety this drug completely disabled her, after two weeks of this drug I informed my sister, the POA to get her off of it which they did however she has not been the same since and at this time can no longer even stand up on her own or feed herself. Right now she get two tablets of carbidopa/levodopa at the 25/100 dosage.
Are you familiar Dr. Pressman and his natural protocol? She does get glutathione and vitamin D3 and my brother wanted them to give her B12 however her POA feels this harm so have refused to let have this vitamin.
Dr. Allen Pressman has a natural protocol to treat altzheimers,dimentia and parkinsons,with a claimed 90% success rate, are you familiar with his treatment.

Hello. No, I was not familiar with Dr. Pressman's treatment, I looked him up and see he is an alternative medicine physician using combinations of B vitamins and extracts from carrots and beet roots. I really have no experience in alternative medicine, so I really cannot comment on these effects. I was unable to find any peer reviewed publications in the National Library of Medicine from which I could send you information. I will suggest you look to the bottom of the page, however, where it is stated, "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease." I believe in the western medicine approach of trying to test medicines in a peer reviewed system where several investigators have to show positive results before adoption into our medicinal pool This Dr. has chose not to go that route. It doesn't mean his compounds aren't effective, they are just not proven effective. I hope that helps. Please get back to me with questions and I will reply. Dr Frank

Hello. Please review my statement and reply. Or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks Dr Frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician