Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Extreme giddiness on laying down mostly on left side and

Customer Question
back sometimes on right -...
Extreme giddiness on laying down mostly on left side and back sometimes on right - also neck pain and back of head also. CT scans show severe deterioration of neck and spine but condition worsening
JA: Your nerves are the communications system for your body so you are doing the right thing consulting our Expert about anything to do with them. Losing comms is not good. Please give me a bit more information, so the Neurologist can help you best.
Customer: Giddiness has been almost constant for last 2 weeks - no relief from stemetil. Biggest concern now is laying down after a few moments the whole room spins and I feel the need to sit upright to relieve - worst episodes occur turning from back to left side
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Neurologist should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Neurologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

So the major issue in your history is that the vertigo or spinning is position, maximal in a certain position. That defines the problem to the labyrnthine system of the semicircular canals that are present off both ears, in internal auditory system. Have you tried any other medications than Stemetil, like betahistine? Antihistamines work well to control the true spinning sensation, in the US we use meclizine (antivert). Betahistine is the drug of choice in the UK. Other things you need to try are the Epley's maneuvers that you can try with your doctor, and be trained to do at home. Have you tried that? And not to make any sudden moves with your head is important. To always look out into space to find a visual fixation point.

There are a series of tests that the otolaryngologist (ENT) will do to determine which semicircular canal, and from what ear is involved There are also vestibular training exercises to try if this becomes more chronic. 2 weeks is not considered chronic at this point. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply. Dr Frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician