Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I recently had an mri of the brain and the results are as…

Customer Question
I recently had an mri...
I recently had an mri of the brain and the results are as follows: there is a solitary 5mm focus nonspecific white matter signal changes ventral of left basal ganglia as on sagittal FLAIR image 17,axial TToad FLAIR image 31
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
What's taking so long?
2/20/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond Dr Frank

Do I have MS?

HI do you have ms based on this MRI finding? No

you have a solitary 5 mm nodule of hyperintensity seen on the FLAIR. It is located in the Grey matter (the basal ganglion), not the periventricular white matter, which is where you find demyelinating lesions in MS. This is not demyelinating, it is evidence of microvascular change, a leaking of transudate or fluid from the small capillaries in that area. As mentioned, it is "non-specific" which means a lot of things can give you this problem, it is not consistent with stroke either

Things that can cause this include, smoking, migraine, a family history of having these lesions, high cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension.

if you get a lot of these, like more than 20 scattered throughout your brain, you get termed as having leukoaraiosis. You can read up on that, it can get serious as there is an association with stroke later in life, and with dementia if left uncontrolled. But having just one is very common, this change has been called the MRI finding of living in the western hemisphere, as some feel it is the environment of heavy stress, red meat, smoking, migraine headaches, etc.

I hope that answers your question. Please get back to me if you wish to discuss this further and I will reply. Or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr frank