Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Last Tuesday my daughter fell in a basketball game. She hit…

Customer Question
Last Tuesday my daughter fell...
Last Tuesday my daughter fell in a basketball game. She hit the inside of her elbow and ended up with a large bruise and a bump ad minimal swelling. She has had pain in that area since the incident, but it has slowly gotten better. She has been able to practice and use her arm normally. Tonight she was thrown to the ground in a basketball game again and hit her elbow again. She comppains of pain in her elbow. She is able to extend her arm fully, although it causes pain. She can rotate her hand with her elbow extended. She can touch her fingers to her shoulder with her elbow completely bent. Although, again, it is painful. My question is, is if her elbow were broken could she move it like that? Or is it likely just a bruised elbow?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/19/2016
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

When I analyse the description you have provided above it sounds like she has not broken her elbow. If elbow is broken then in addition to severe pain she will not be able to move her elbow easily. The movements across the elbow will be severely restricted if the elbow is broken. So most likely it does not sound like the elbow is broken. But considering she had two injuries now and also considering that she is having a bruise and severe pain it is important that she gets an x ray of the elbow asap and this can provide us more information regarding the extent and severity of the injury - although it sounds like she is most likely having just a bruised elbow and the possibility of elbow being broken is very less likely since she has good movements across her elbow.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor