Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Recently I have developed what feels like numbness and

Customer Question
tingling in my upper thigh...
Recently I have developed what feels like numbness and tingling in my upper thigh. The pain started about a week ago after working out but has become more consitent recently. There has been no trauma or injury.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/18/2016
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 2 years ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Pain, numbness and tingling etc in the thigh area are suspicious for nerve damage and this can be caused by myriad conditions and examples of such conditions include a peripheral nerve damage/entrapment neuropathy that occurs in the thigh area or in the groin or in the pelvis area, or this could be due to pinched spinal nerve in the lower spine area (the lumbosacral spine). You need a thorough examination in the clinic and certain relevant investigations that may include an MRI scan and a nerve and muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test etc and this will help in finding out the precise cause for your new symptoms and then treated appropriately. In the meantime you may try a nerve-pain pill like Gabapentin or Amitriptyline etc that can help in obtaining relief from the new symptoms.

And please see that these type of new symptoms you are having (pain, numbness, tingling sensation) do not automatically mean that there is an underlying serious condition, in fact on many occasions these type of symptoms are related to some benign non-serious conditions which can be treated/cured, you may please try to see your clinic doctors preferably a neurologist as soon as possible so that you can receive a thorough clinical evaluation/clinical examination and also certain relevant investigations too as pointed above (MRI scan, EMG/Nerve conduction test etc) and once a final precise diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately. In the meantime you may try one of the nerve-pain pills mentioned above to get relief from the symptoms you are having. An early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick and complete cure so please try to see your clinic doctors, preferably a neurologist as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor