Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having seizure activity after an MRI. I have…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having seizure activity after an MRI. I have scar tissue from meningioma in 1982. Wondering if MRI triggered these acitivies. I had seizure during MRI. How long does it take dilantin to get into system? I think I messed up two days last week. I take 3 a day. I have been having 2-3 episodes o seizure activity. ***** *****

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

NOt sure what.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/17/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

Hello. There is no evidence that having an MRI can precipitate a seizure unless you have a form of epilepsy called reflex epilepsy where certain electromagnetic stimuli can make you seize. If you always have seizures in front of a TV etc. that is rare and unlikely given your history of meningioma and scar. Dilantin has a 24 hour bald life so if you are just taking your normal daily dose daily it will take 5 days. You can speed it up by taking a double dose or up to a gram orally on the first day, that will change it to 3 days to load and a beige the steady state blood level. Please get back to the if I can help you further or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank

My level is 6.3. I am scared of the tremors or mini seizures.

HI. Your level is 6.3 when? When you had your seizure and were checked? Were you taking your Dilantin? How much do you take? If you skipped some doses, what has your level been in the past when you were taking it over at least a 2 week period before the level was drawn? 6.3 is low, as you might know you want between 10 and 20. get back to me to discuss Dr frank

Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician