Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Our son has been in pain from both his hands up his arms for…

Customer Question
Our son has been in...
Our son has been in pain from both his hands up his arms for five years. He had surgery in Boston for Pronator's Syndrome - nerve compression which the surgeon said he definitely saw when he got in there - his pain has not let up. He passes all the nerve conduction studies which conclude it is not carpal tunnel, although our son thinks it still might possibly be when he looks at the symptoms on-line. He is seeing a neurologist who thinks it is caused by muscle overuse and has prescribed PT which has been going on for months. He also is having severe abdominal pain which the PT says is a deep muscle tear. he is doing all the at home exercises and says the abdominal pain has slightly improved.In May, he is to have an RV-10 test. What is that? Any suggestions for finding the diagnosis? We are very frustrated and it is difficult to see our son, at 32 suffer so much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
He was constipated and pushing hard on his abdomen and said he felt something "pop" and knew he had hurt himself - that is how he got the abdominal pain. he was given three injections in his abdomen at a pain clinic and was told it was a kind of nerve entrapment but the third injection was so painful - the dr thanked him for not crying out as he knew something didn't go right. Sam refused to go back - that was about six months ago. So now it is all about PT.What kind of dr should he see for this abdominal pain? So now he has to come home from work and lay down immediately to help stop the pain - he uses a heating pad on his abdomen and tries not to do anything to strain the abdominal area. He had a test to see if there was a hernia and the test was negative. For an abdominal tear - shouldn't that be surgically repaired?
2/17/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Thanks for this question

Any other medical issues?

He tried gabapentin but didn't like it as it gave him chest pains - he takes strong Ibupropen, drinks wine for pain. Doesn't trust meds

Has he been tested for autoimmune diseases?

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

If you have more questions, just reply