Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife was diagnosed a couple of years ago as having a

Customer Question
meningioma around the artery that...
My wife was diagnosed a couple of years ago as having a meningioma around the artery that supplies the brain with blood and close to the sinus cavity. We found this out because she had double vision for a few days and decided to go to the Dr. who referred us to a neurologists who identified it with an MRI. The double vision did go away eventually before we went to UNC to see a surgeon. The surgeon at UNC stated that due to location, size, and no current side affect that would relate to what she had that we should watch and wait for any signs of growth. My wife is now having symptom of the right side of her face numb with pain on the right side of her upper teeth and stabbing right eye pain (Constant) for the last few months. We moved to MO and got another MRI and the neurologists stated that based on document he read from UNC without the MRI he said he didn't see that the Meningioma has shown any growth. What should we be looking for? I've read some on Trigeminal Neuralgia, could the meningioma cause TN? Oh, her regular Dr. gave her steroids for a week and she did say it relieved her pain a little. I'm LOST
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Neurology
2/15/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician

hello welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

Hi. I will try to send you some useful information, but we may have to play a name guessing game, as I don't have everything I need in terms of information, and I don't want to send you information that is clearly wrong. It sounds like you wife has a cavernous sinus meningioma based on your statement about the artery (internal carotid) and the double vision (VIth nerve or abducens nerve palsy) as both of those structures pass through that area. It is also an area that is extremely difficult to operate on successfully, so it would make sense that UNC said lets follow it. Alternatively, this could be a clivus meningioma or a sphenoid wing meningioma so it matters where this meningioma is located, of course, as to how symptoms may or may not develop. But certainly the statement from the MO Neurologist is a good thing, as generally meningiomas are either slow growing or fast growing, there is not a lot of in-between. In terms of trigeminal neuralgia, yes, you are certainly on the mark there with the symptoms you describe, the Vth cranial nerve can be involved from the maxillary branch coming into contact with the tumor. That would more support the concept of a clivus meningioma or a sphenoid wing meningioma as those would have the capacity to be in contact, whereas the cavernous sinus not so much. So that is what I can say from here. Please upload UNC MRI report if you have it, but take off your wifes' name or indentifying information as this is a public forum and I will reply Or ask questions. Dr Frank

Hello. I hope I was able to answer your question. If satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank